Saturday, July 28, 2012

R.I.P. Smoke

Back when the kids were very small (in fact we had only two back then) we had a ward carnival in the streets that compromised our Cherry Hill Orem Utah ward. The kids got to "fish" and were actually given penny fish that promptly died a few days later. Christopher's parents were in town visiting, as I recall, and thought it would be fun to actually get the boys some fish with a little 2 1/2 gallon tank. So we picked out two "fancy goldfish" named them Fire and Smoke and enjoyed having our "pets".  Fire died soon after and we chose not to replace him. Honestly I just kept waiting for the other fish, Smoke, to die. 

In the meantime life went on. Christopher was getting ready to graduate from law school and I remember having the thought, "what are we going to do with that fish?" I wasn't particularly attached, but we decided when we moved that we'd move him along with the rest of our stuff. He drove shotgun with me in our old Honda Accord, where we'd bring his tank in when we'd stop for the night to get plugged in. Smoke continued to grow and when we bought our first home on Michael Ave, he got upgraded to a 5 or 10 gallon tank ( I can't really remember). I also can't remember if this is when we got our Sucker fish. Anyway, he liked his little home and the boys loved looking at him. 
We had two more kids, and they like their older brothers, loved to see the fish swim around. Smoke continued to grow and grow and somehow we ended up with a 40 gallon tank that pretty much just fit him and the sucker fish that has grown alongside with him. 

During the past 11 years we had this fish, he became part of our family. He'd come over and swim around when we'd get home after being gone from the house.  

Unfortunately, the morning after getting home from our usual trip to the gym, I came home and found, what I somewhat thought might never happen: Smoke had finally died. Ww were lucky to have the time we did have with him. Although I never thought I would, I became pretty attached to that fish. Ansel was gone to Scout camp, but when I told Jonas, Owen and Sadie, they were devastated. I called Christopher, who was able to come home and help us bury our friend. 

Sadie donated one of her little wooden jewelry boxes. Jonas and Owen helped me dig a grave and we had a little funeral for Smoke. Jonas offered a heart- felt prayer and we laid him to rest. underneath a big landscaping rock in our backyard. 



It was a good time to be able to talk to the kids about life and death and the plan that Heavenly Father has for all of us, even the creatures that inhabit this earth with us. The kids are doing fine now. We decided to keep the sucker fish, who is almost 12 inches long and we bought some new little tropical fish that are just so dang little!
We know we will probably will never experience the same thing with any other fish, but are grateful for the 11 years we did have with Smoke.