Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Spring Break 2008

Spring Break started for us last Friday when we headed out to Utah for Conference Weekend. My parents returned from their mission to Myanmar the previous week, so we were anxious to see them and have them get reacquainted with the kids and meet Sadie. Jon and Tara came over the night before and we caravan ed with them that day. It was fun to have Caleb ride with us. The kids just enjoyed watching movies and the ride went fairly smoothly. We had enough time to say some hellos and then got the kids to bed.


Saturday and Sunday we enjoyed watching General Conference. On Sunday afternoon Christopher and I took Ansel along with Jon and Tara and Caleb and Seth and my Dad to the Conference Center. It was such a neat experience and I want to make it a tradition to take the kids when they're 8 to experience sitting in a session with the prophet and apostles.








We planned to go to Logan on Monday, but after waking up to blowing snow, we decided to postpone and take the kids to the Children's Museum at Gateway in SLC.







The kids were all having fun until I missed a step as I was coming down the stairs and had to leave. I twisted my left foot so badly that I almost passed out. After getting all the kids in the car, we headed back to Lucy's to drop them off and then spent the rest of the afternoon at the Jordan Valley Emergency Room. It turns out a small bit of bone chipped off the top of my foot and they outfitted me with a big black boot to stabilize my foot and told me to follow up with an Orthopedist when we got home. Sarah hooked me up with some crutches that night from a friend from work, so at least I could somewhat get around. It definitely messed up our vacation! I didn't get nearly enough shopping in and Christopher had to do too much with the kids. But at least he had the time off and the kids had cousins to entertain them.
Tuesday we stuck close to Lucy's and took it easy. I did get away for lunch with Lucy and Maureen and also saw the U23D show on IMAX at Jordan landing. It was way better than seeing it at our local Carmike, so that was fun.





Wednesday I was doing better and Christopher got me a cane to help me walk around. After a leisurely morning, we headed down to Utah County and first things first had an enjoyable yummy lunch at Los Hermanos...ARRIBA! It was close to check in time, so we went to our hotel and Christopher took the kids swimming. Later, we hooked up with our good friend, Jen C. We visited for a bit and then she and I went to get Thai food and then back for more visiting. Unfortunately I didn't take a pic, but it was so fun catching up with her.


Thursday we got up and headed to BYU. We went to the Hinckley Alumni and Visitor's Center, which was just a beautiful building. They had all the old yearbooks and was able to find my parents, which was fun to show the kids. We walked across campus and were that family bumping into the students as they were trying to get to their classes. Remember when you were at BYU and you'd see "those" families hauling their kids around thinking...what a bunch of dorks...and then here you are doing the same thing. It doesn't seem dorky now, but I'm sure those kids had those same thoughts I did 15 years ago!



We headed to the Wilk and took the kids bowling, which they didn't appreciate, but at least Owen had fun. Owen has a bright future in bowling. He would just toss his ball and it would go ever so slowly down the center and always seem to knock down at least 8 pins. He never waited to watch how many pins went down, but just had fun throwing the ball. He ended up winning the 2nd game.



After bowling we headed to the bookstore for some more BYU apparel and then to Burger Supreme for our favorite burgers. We then went to visit our good friends, the Carters. I met Traci when they moved into our Orem ward about 7 years ago. I was her visiting teacher and we were both pregnant (me with Jonas) and she with her first and both due within days. She ended up beating my by a few days and she's since had two more boys, following my family. She and her husband are super cool and it's a priority to visit whenever we are there. We also got to see Natalie, another friend from our old ward and it was fun to catch up on their family. Again, I forgot to take a pic.
We then headed North to visit Thomas and Jessica, as well as A.P. and Amy, all old roommates. Thomas and Jessica were great hosts and we had an enjoyable dinner that everyone contributed to. We even got to visit with Tyler, another of Christopher's roommates at BYU. WE had a late night getting home around 10:00 p.m.



Friday was Seth's birthday. I did come home to a wonderful surprise from our good friends here...a cookie bouquet! It was very thoughtful.



After a yummy Cafe Rio lunch it was birthday party time...first friend's birthday party followed by family birthday party. Here are some of the pics.













Saturday we woke up with a sick Ansel. He ended up staying in the van while we went to Seth's baptism. He is a great kid and I'm so glad we were able to be there for his baptism. AFterward, we changed and drove all day and into the night getting home at 10:00. Back to reality! It was good to see so much family and friends, but the whole breaking my foot definitely left us with a desire for a vacation from our vacation.